literacies log

Tuesday 30 October 2007

Learning to blog!

Hi everybody

I realised I first need to learn the literacy practices of blogging. What for example is a 'dashboard'?

More importantly, what am I supposed to say? And how am I going to write? So, for a start, here is a little anecdote about changing technologies and changing literacy practices. I have just been part of an interview panel for the appointment of an audio and video loans assistant for our Department. Both candidates (MA students) had to respond to our questions, but also carry out a practical task. They were asked to play a cassette. Now, the first candidate, an obviously bright young guy from China, took a while to figure it out. After the interview I realised that the task had in fact been a bit unfair. Our equipment is pretty old-fashioned and I couldn't help thinking that he might never have used the kind of amplifier and tape recorder most of us (I suspect) still have in our living rooms! But he figured it out, so he might get the job!

I really enjoyed Mark's talk in the LRG today. I find it interesting that he has applied the idea of literacy as social practice to orthography.

Uta

1 Comments:

  • DB says: I am glad you asked! Originally a dashboard was a board in front of a carriage to stop mud from being dashed into the vehicle by the horse's hoofs. Then, with mechanical transport, the other side of the board became important as instruments were attached to the board. So, the latest meaning is a web page with info from different applications displayed on it. :-)

    By Blogger LRC, At 22 November 2007 at 07:20  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home