literacies log

Tuesday 27 November 2007

reading a bag


At an event promoting Fair Trade I was delighted to be given my goodies in this bag. It's made out of recycled Indian newspapers. The website tells me they are made by former street children. All the newspapers are collected by one man calling at homes asking for newspapers, sometimes therefore the bags feature completed crosswords!

The employment ads on the other side give me the impression Delhi is booming not least in call centres. One says that 'average English' is required.

Julia

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • DB adds: That’s nice. I have a smaller newspaper bag from Nepal somewhere. I can see the beginnings of a museum of literacy artefacts here :-).
    And, as part of local literacies research, I made a list of the uses people made of old newspapers – covering windows when painting a room, drying boots, putting on kitchen floor when it’s been cleaned, starting a fire, and lots more… - It’s all perceived affordances!!

    By Blogger LRC, At 28 November 2007 at 06:00  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home