literacies log

Monday 3 December 2007

mapwork


I rely quite a lot on maps as I do not have a good sense of direction. I retreated from the library the other day because I could not find an office I had been to in there before - it wasn't marked on the maps because (I think!) although it is in the library it belongs to a different service. It can also be quite hard to find specific buildings on this campus unless you have a portable map. I find it very hard to imagine what use maps such as this one, just outside the library, might be. It gives a plan of building locations, each building being marked with a number. The number does not relate to any kind of available key; nor are the building numbers visible on the buildings themselves.


I think the reading and authoring of maps is a fascinating topic. There is such a need for a strong mutual striving towards shared understandings of symbols that in a way it is the archetypal 'literacy.' You don't always know what you can do with a map straight away until you arrive at a really good active understanding of it; I would be quite handicapped if the 'mini map' function was turned off in my 'virtual worlds' project for example, and yet I probably had no idea it was there let alone how to use it when I first went 'inworld.'


I think 'mapwork' would be a fantastic future theme for the Institute of Advanced Studies here at Lancaster. But I see the closing date has gone for 2009-10. I have time to think about it perhaps for the following year! I wonder what themes were submitted.
Julia

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • DB says: Yes, lots of things to say about this.
    1. Within Literacy Studies, lots of anecdotes but I don’t know of any study of map literacy.
    2. Map literacy seems to be a common term within school geography in some places (as a quick google shows).
    3. I often see people puzzling over the campus maps – I sometimes offer to help because I know they must be confused.
    4. I like the idea of putting the map numbers on the buildings, to make the real world more like the map of it.
    5. And, finally, the concept of mapping would be a good theme, not least because of the broader notions of mapping of one form of representation onto another.

    By Blogger LRC, At 3 December 2007 at 13:30  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home